Friday, February 17, 2012

Books I've Read This Week


The Nerdist Way by Chris Hardwick is not really a self help book it is more like an advice book. In it Chris details ways in which you can use the ability to obsess over things that most nerds, like myself, have and use it to enhance you life. A lot of it comes down to getting out of your own way and allowing yourself to succeed. That is stop thinking about it and just do it!
Watch is the second book in Robert J Sawyer's WWW Trilogy. I've previously reviewed the first book, Wake, which I loved. It continues the story of Caitlin Decter and the emerging artificial intelligence Webmind. Since this is the second book in the series I don't want to get to specific but I will say that Mr. Sawyer continues to write a very believable 16 year old girl character and I really appreciate how he deftly handles the moral/ethical/legal implications of the emerging AI. One of the things I've always admired about Sawyer's writing is that it is almost always uplifting. Yes, bad things do happen but there is always a sense of hope for the future unlike a number of dystopian sci-fi epics.

See you next Friday.

No comments: